Thursday 6 September 2018

You are the One on a Plane that Crashed

When I think of leadership theory I think I would describe myself as an autocrat. I do not enjoy sharing responsibility or being delegated to. I have been known to say "there is no I in team but there is a Me". The universe, of course, does not care about my leadership style and though I do not join teams wherein I cannot wrest away power -- the universe often sees fit to institute me as a cog in machines.

Do you know what it is like to be a task-oriented person in a people-oriented group? All that
sharing and feelings and opinions and not as much actual work? Its frustrating.
---+---


Recently I was asked to give my opinion -- never ask for my opinion -- on a presentation by Alvin Day.

The contrarian within me simply would not sit still and so I had to eschew his philosophy self-love ≠ selfish. My myopic argument was that the relationships I make are more valuable than the potential help that I could give to strangers. My argument was that I value the lives of my loved ones not as much as I value my own, but more. My argument was that my opinion is valid as soon as it is soundly defended whether you are in agreement or not.
---+---

You know if indeed that plane had crashed and I had happened to be on it without any vulnerable creatures beside me I may well have lived. So off my brain went in imagining my own "Lost" premier episode. Before I get off  that plane I'm scavenging: a rucksack stuffed with bottled water, first aid kit, sensible clothes, swim cap, torch, rope, blanket, food, knife, and a radio/phone. You know, the essentials.

Jokes aside (yes those were jokes) I rather like the idea of being proved wrong.
The idea that people-y people can also make productive groups...

No comments:

Post a Comment